Listen to the full episode to hear how to boost daily reading and writing with a spontaneous routine:
Are you looking for fun, creative, and engaging ways to get your students excited about reading and writing? If so, this is the episode for you! I love coming up with creative ways that spark student engagement, and this time, they’re spontaneous activities that include reading and writing. So I’m sharing how two activities boost daily reading and writing excitement in your elementary classrooms.
I came to the conclusion that if I want students to enjoy reading and writing, I need to create opportunities that sparked joy in both of those areas. With that in mind, I remembered an activity from back when I was in school and adapted it to incorporate daily reading and writing that’s spontaneous and fun. With each routine, I discuss the importance of it, benefits, the structure and expectations, and how to easily implement it in your classroom.
We always create and develop lessons that focus on practicing and mastering literacy skills, but never develop ways that spark an initial love for literacy. However, with these two routines, you can spontaneously incorporate daily reading and writing in a way that increases their excitement and engagement with literacy.
In this episode on daily reading and writing, I share:
- 2 spontaneous routines that boosts excitement around daily reading and writing
- The structure, expectations, and benefits of the reading activity
- How to make the writing activity both structured and enjoyable at the same time
- General tips for implementing each literacy routine
- A powerful quote for you to reflect on your influence through teaching
- Join The Daily Writing Disguise
- Writing Center Posters and Writing Paper
- Quick Write Creative Writing Activities
- Would You Rather Creative Writing Activities
- Pick 4 Writing Creative Writing Activities
- Building Words Creative Writing Activities
Connect with Megan:
- Join The Daily Writing Disguise Membership here
- Shop my TpT store here
- Check out TDWD Collections here
- Receive emails from me here
- Follow me on Instagram here
- Read my blog posts here
About The Literacy Dive Podcast:
Do you find yourself seeking new implementations when it comes to literacy instruction? Do you crave fresh ideas and engaging lessons to transform your students into skilled readers and writers? The Literacy Dive Podcast was created to provide educators, like you, with actionable steps and strategies to improve teaching reading and writing.
Your host, Megan Polk, is the creator and owner of The Literacy Dive, a company that creates educational, literacy curriculum that aims to close the gap and support children in reaching mastery. Being a literacy specialist and having over a decade of teaching grades K-5, Megan knows the power of collaboration and working alongside teachers and parents to provide them with the support, confidence, and resources they need to meet students where they are.
Dive in each Monday as Megan and her guests unpack an element of literacy or various topics relatable to educators. Here are some topics covered in this literacy podcast: writing strategies, reading comprehension, the writing process, the science of reading, and small group instruction.
If you enjoy this podcast and find the content helpful, please consider leaving a rating, feedback review, and/or sharing this podcast with a friend!