Listen to the full episode to hear about 6 best practice tips:
The past couple of episodes have been focused on student writing and the writing process. If you haven’t listened to last week’s episode, Episode 88, make sure you go back and listen to it now. I discuss in detail the steps of the writing process, which is a prelude to today’s topic. In today’s episode, I’m continuing to talk about the writing process with 6 best practice tips to keep in mind when it comes to writing and having your students keep the writing process in mind.
The writing process is more than just knowing the order of the steps and having your students just write. In order for students to become effective and successful writers, it’s a process that takes time and effort on your end. These 6 best practice tips ensure your students utilize the writing process to support their writing needs. The 6 tips are:
- Use a variety of writing prompts
- Have students write daily
- Move at the pace of your students
- Conference with your students throughout the process
- Explain the why
- Experiment with different writing skills and strategies
Over the last few weeks, I hope you have a better understanding of why we should guide our students to using the writing process as their milestones from brainstorming to publishing, while implementing these best practice tips. You know that I’m a lover of writing, but I can guarantee this produces some writing excitement for you in your classroom and that you’ll make time for it during your literacy or writing block. Let the writing begin!
In this episode on 6 best practice tips for the writing process, I share:
- 6 best practice tips when it comes to implementing the writing process
- Why exposing your students to a variety of genres helps them become stronger writers
- Being intentional about student conferences is more informative for your students throughout the writing process
- How writing prompts help facilitate student writing
- Monthly Writing Prompts Sample Pack Freebie
- Writing Process Charts & Writing Checklists
- Episode 88, Step by Step: Understanding the Writing Process
Connect with Megan:
- Check out my TpT Store
- Subscribe to my E-mail list
- Instagram Posts
- Blog Posts
- Facebook Posts
- Watch my YouTube channel
About The Literacy Dive Podcast:
Do you find yourself seeking new ideas when it comes to literacy instruction in elementary classrooms? The Literacy Dive Podcast was created to offer actionable steps and to share information for teachers, like you, who are always looking to improve their craft! ELA is our jam and we are excited to dive into all things reading and writing with you!
Your host, Megan Polk, is the creator and owner behind The Literacy Dive and loves to support students and their teachers with curriculum, literacy instruction, best practices, and engaging literacy activities.
Dive in with us every Monday for a new episode from Megan! She, and her guests, will chat about various literacy topics and will bring you tips and tricks that can easily be implemented in your classrooms. You can tune in wherever you get your podcasts! Listen to The Literacy Dive Podcast on platforms like Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google, and more! If you find value from listening to this podcast, please rate this show, leave a review, and follow!