Today we have a question from Shelby! Shelby asks, “How do you help kids who just want to finish writing as fast as they can and do not want to add any details because of the time it takes?” Just like Shelby, we all have those students in our writing block who say “I’m done” before most kids even have their name on the paper! Few things are more frustrating than watching students who rush through their writing without implementing the skills that you have worked so hard to teach!
I’m sharing 10 strategies to help with motivation and getting students taking their time when it comes to writing. These are tips that have helped my students look forward to writing time and shift from saying “I’m done” to “how can I make my writing better?”. Are you ready to watch your writers grow and transform?
In this episode I share:
- Common reasons why students tend to rush through their work and how to fix it
- Focusing on small achievable writing goals
- How to use checklists to eliminate rushing and increase accountability
- Using a timer to set expectations
- Implementing frequent check-ins to eliminate behaviors before they even begin
- Writing Process Charts and Checklists
- Writing Process and Writing VOICES Checklists
- Descriptive Writing Anchor Charts
- FREE Writing Choice Boards
Connect with Megan:
- Check out my TpT Store
- Subscribe to my E-mail List
- Instagram posts
- Blog posts
- Facebook posts
- Watch my YouTube channel
About The Literacy Dive Podcast:
Do you find yourself seeking new ideas when it comes to literacy instruction in elementary classrooms? The Literacy Dive Podcast was created to offer actionable steps and to share information for teachers, like you, who are always looking to improve their craft! ELA is our jam and we are excited to dive into all things reading and writing with you!
Dive in with us every Monday for a new episode from Megan! She, and her guests, will chat about various literacy topics and will bring you tips and tricks that can easily be implemented in your classrooms… immediately!
You can tune in wherever you get your podcasts! Listen to The Literacy Dive Podcast on platforms like Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google, and more! If you find value from listening to this podcast, please rate this show, leave a review, and follow!