Listen to the full episode to hear how to make writing fun:
If you’ve been listening to the podcast for awhile, you know that we’ve been discussing all things writing. Our topics have ranged from finding time to teach it, effective strategies, and how to incorporate writing across various content areas. However, we still know that students are reluctant writers and one way to help with that is by making it more fun and enjoyable. So in today’s episode, I’m sharing how to make writing fun that’s beyond the basics.
Now, there’s a lot of simple ways to make writing fun, but I want to go beyond the basics. What I mean by that is more than fun paper, materials, or just allowing student choice. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with adding those to student writing, but there’s endless possibilities you could try as well. Some ways to make writing fun include:
- Draw on student interest
- Have materials only accessed through writing center
- Start writing with your students
- Make the transition time special
- Include opportunities for share time
- Partner writing or writing buddies
As we’ve learned over the last several episodes, writing can be a challenge for students, making them reluctant writers. Nevertheless, providing opportunities to make writing fun for your students will keep them engaged and willing to write during your designated writing time. By incorporating my tips for making writing enjoyable, you will be amazed by how much your students look forward to it!
In this episode about how to make writing fun I share:
- Why having a writing center is beneficial for students and your literacy time
- How writing with your students can also increase your love and comfort with writing
- Ways to make your writing center more fun
- Surveying your students can be utilized more than just the beginning of the school year
- Ways to incorporate writing buddies with different grade levels in your school
- Join the Writing Made Simple Membership.
- Monthly Writing Prompts Freebie
- Monthly Writing Prompts
- Episode 104, 5 Ways to Sneak Writing into Other Content Areas
- Episode 103, How to Find More Time to Teach Writing
- Episode 102, The Challenges of Teaching Writing and How to Overcome Them
- Episode 32, Diving Into Your Q&As: How Do You Set Up Effective Writing Centers?
Connect with Megan:
- Check out my TpT Store
- Subscribe to my E-mail list
- Instagram Posts
- Blog Posts
- Facebook Posts
- Watch my YouTube channel
About The Literacy Dive Podcast:
Do you find yourself seeking new ideas when it comes to literacy instruction in elementary classrooms? The Literacy Dive Podcast was created to offer actionable steps and to share information for teachers, like you, who are always looking to improve their craft! ELA is our jam and we are excited to dive into all things reading and writing with you!
Your host, Megan Polk, is the creator and owner behind The Literacy Dive and loves to support students and their teachers with curriculum, literacy instruction, best practices, and engaging literacy activities.
Dive in with us every Monday for a new episode from Megan! She, and her guests, will chat about various literacy topics and will bring you tips and tricks that can easily be implemented in your classrooms. You can tune in wherever you get your podcasts! Listen to The Literacy Dive Podcast on platforms like Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google, and more! If you find value from listening to this podcast, please rate this show, leave a review, and follow!