How many of your students still struggle with writing complete sentences? I know I have experienced this in my classroom year after year. Today, I am sharing the 5 necessary parts to a complete sentence. I will share a breakdown of how I have found success with teaching each part and ways I implement several opportunities for sentence writing practice in the classroom setting.
In this episode I share:
- Determining whether sentence writing is a whole group or small group concern
- How to explain that a complete sentence, at minimum, should include a subject, a verb, and an object or thought (when the verb and object/thought are joined together, it becomes the predicate)
- How to explain that a sentence must have a capital letter and an end mark
- Why to begin with teaching basic sentence structures; more complex sentences can be explored once your students display they are ready
- The understanding that when sharing the 5 parts upfront, it becomes a lot to digest; separating the structure from the grammatical components will help with sentence retention
- When to embed these moments for sentence practice:
- Morning Meeting
- Writing Workshop warm-ups
- Writing Center/Literacy Workstations
- Exit Tickets
- Responding to Reading
- Being intentional and allow for plenty of practice each day
- Learn easy-to-implement ideas and ways to create opportunities for your students
Connect with Megan:
- Check out my TpT Store
- Join The Literacy Dive Facebook Group
- Subscribe to my E-mail List
- Instagram posts
- Blog posts
- Facebook posts
- Watch my YouTube channel
About The Literacy Dive Podcast:
Do you find yourself seeking new ideas when it comes to literacy instruction in elementary classrooms? The Literacy Dive Podcast was created to offer actionable steps and to share information for teachers, like you, who are always looking to improve their craft! ELA is our jam and we are excited to dive into all things reading and writing with you!
Your host, Megan Polk, is the creator and owner behind Miss P’s Style. She is a literacy specialist and loves to support students and their teachers with curriculum, literacy instruction, best practices, and engaging literacy activities. Through this podcast, she will share literacy tips and strategies that she has learned from the many years of experience she holds from being an elementary teacher and literacy specialist. Megan has taught all elementary grades (K-5), but an intense passion and love for upper elementary came about!
Dive in with us every Monday for a new episode from Megan! She, and her guests, will chat about various literacy topics and will bring you tips and tricks that can easily be implemented in your classrooms… immediately!
You can tune in wherever you get your podcasts! Listen to The Literacy Dive Podcast on platforms like Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google, and more! If you find value from listening to this podcast, please rate this show, leave a review, and subscribe!