Listen to the full episode to hear how to support your ESL students in writing:
I’ve mentioned before about how writing can be difficult and students often struggle with it. But let’s take it a step further, and imagine what writing is like for a student whose English is not their native language.
As the world becomes more diverse, so are our classrooms. Therefore, we want to be able to provide support for ESL students in our classroom. Take a listen to today’s episode where I’m sharing a variety of writing strategies to support your ESL students.
While all these tips and strategies can be used for any student needing writing support, they’re especially helpful for your ESL students. All of these writing strategies help students find success, confidence, and assist students in getting their thoughts and ideas out in written form.
Along with getting them started, a lot of these strategies can be modified and adapted to the next level as your students grow in the skills and become more confident, which is the ultimate goal!
In order to make a difference and help develop their skills, make sure you implement these writing strategies that support your ESL students. By practicing writing daily, providing tools and other resources, and so much more, your students will begin to feel confident in their written language in no time!
In this episode about writing strategies for your ESL students, I share:
- 6 writing strategies that support your ESL students
- Questions to consider when creating a written checklist so students fully understand what’s expected of them
- Why it’s okay to provide your students examples and have them use it in order to get started
- How reading and writing are really connected when it comes to skills
- Tips on different ways you can provide graphic organizers and practice writing daily
- Join the Writing Made Simple Membership
- Descriptive Writing Anchor Charts
- Upper Elementary Writing Office Folder
- Episode 31, Writing Strategies to Support Your ELL Students with Beth Vaucher
Connect with Megan:
About The Literacy Dive Podcast:
Do you find yourself seeking new ideas when it comes to literacy instruction in elementary classrooms? The Literacy Dive Podcast was created to offer actionable steps and to share information for teachers, like you, who are always looking to improve their craft! ELA is our jam and we are excited to dive into all things reading and writing with you!
Your host, Megan Polk, is the creator and owner behind The Literacy Dive and loves to support students and their teachers with curriculum, literacy instruction, best practices, and engaging literacy activities.
Dive in with us every Monday for a new episode from Megan! She, and her guests, will chat about various literacy topics and will bring you tips and tricks that can easily be implemented in your classrooms. You can tune in wherever you get your podcasts! Listen to The Literacy Dive Podcast on platforms like Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google, and more!