Listen to the full episode to hear how to use your read aloud for spiral review:
All month long I’ve been discussing the topic of read alouds, so if you missed episodes 106, 107, and 108, make sure you go back and take a listen to hear all the different strategies, tips, and suggestions regarding read alouds. This episode is the last in our series, which helps bring it all together. Today, I’ll be sharing the benefits of using your read aloud for spiral review.
Just like we want to make sure our students understand and practice new concepts, there are certain skills we utilize spiral review on. While we know additional instructional time for such review can be limited, that’s why practicing these skills during your read aloud is beneficial. During the episode, I share 4 ideas on how to organically and purposefully incorporate spiral review on struggling skills during your read aloud time.
Incorporating spiral review during your read aloud doesn’t have to take up a lot of time or provide you with a lot of additional prep work. These 4 quick and easy ideas will give you an opportunity to focus on spiral review of specific skills, all during your designated read aloud time. Implement these ideas and watch your students master their struggling skills with daily practice!
In this episode about using your read aloud for spiral review, I share:
- 4 simple and effective ideas for utilizing your read aloud for spiral review
- An easy way to identify which reading skills are best utilized for certain texts
- A list of reading skills to keep in the forefront to practice on a continuous basis
- Several examples of how your students can share their understanding of specific skills
- Join the Writing Made Simple Membership
- Reading Response Sticky Notes
- Student Response Cards
- Episode 106, 4 Best Practices for Executing a Successful Read Aloud Experience
- Episode 107, How to Choose Effective Read Alouds
- Episode 108, 5 Ideas for Focusing on Fluency During Your Read Aloud with Aylin Claahsen
Connect with Megan:
About The Literacy Dive Podcast:
Do you find yourself seeking new ideas when it comes to literacy instruction in elementary classrooms? The Literacy Dive Podcast was created to offer actionable steps and to share information for teachers, like you, who are always looking to improve their craft! ELA is our jam and we are excited to dive into all things reading and writing with you!
Your host, Megan Polk, is the creator and owner behind The Literacy Dive and loves to support students and their teachers with curriculum, literacy instruction, best practices, and engaging literacy activities.
Dive in with us every Monday for a new episode from Megan! She, and her guests, will chat about various literacy topics and will bring you tips and tricks that can easily be implemented in your classrooms. You can tune in wherever you get your podcasts! Listen to The Literacy Dive Podcast on platforms like Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google, and more! If you find value from listening to this podcast, please rate this show, leave a review, and follow!