Listen to the full episode to hear how to reset your reading block:
The beginning of the year is the perfect opportunity to think about the practices and routines that are set in your classroom. There’s power in asking yourself questions intended to see at what point you can add, remove, or adjust key elements in your instruction. In sticking with the theme of the past several episodes of reflecting, in this episode, I’m going to explore resetting the other side of literacy, which is reading, specifically your reading block.
Reading is fundamental and the foundation of all subjects, which makes it so important to have an effective reading block. The five questions I share examine your practices while leaving you with actionable tips you can easily implement. They also take a look into your reading strategies, supports, and reading goals set for your students.
After your self-reflection, if any element of your reading block needs to be changed, the start of the new year is the perfect time for those improvements. The purpose of your reading block is to develop students’ reading skills while making it fun, which is exactly what the reset questions will help you accomplish!
In this Episode on How to Reset Your Reading Block, I Share:
- Benefits of having students read daily, along with reading with your students
- Why modeling and explicitly teaching reading shows students what they should be doing in the reading process
- A reminder that supporting materials propel your students upward, rather than being a crutch
- Tips on how to keep records and data pertaining to your students’ reading
- Join the Writing Made Simple Membership
- Episode 114, Your Writing Block: Reflect & Reset for 2023
- Episode 113, Classroom Routines: Reflect & Reset for 2023
- Running Records Cheat Sheet Freebie
- Reading Choice Boards freebie
- Reading Reference Sheets
- Reading Activities Bundle
- Reading Skills and Strategies Anchor Charts
- Reading Response Sentence Stem Anchor Charts
- Small Group Observation Notes Data Tracker
- Reading Workshop Bundle
Connect with Megan:
About The Literacy Dive Podcast:
Do you find yourself seeking new ideas when it comes to literacy instruction in elementary classrooms? The Literacy Dive Podcast was created to offer actionable steps and to share information for teachers, like you, who are always looking to improve their craft! ELA is our jam and we are excited to dive into all things reading and writing with you!
Your host, Megan Polk, is the creator and owner behind The Literacy Dive and loves to support students and their teachers with curriculum, literacy instruction, best practices, and engaging literacy activities.
Dive in with us every Monday for a new episode from Megan! She, and her guests, will chat about various literacy topics and will bring you tips and tricks that can easily be implemented in your classrooms. You can tune in wherever you get your podcasts! Listen to The Literacy Dive Podcast on platforms like Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google, and more!