Listen to the full episode to hear how to best utilize mentor texts:
When introducing a new type of genre, sometimes students need an example to understand certain literacy skills and concepts. This is where mentor texts come in. Most teachers understand the concept of mentor texts, but struggle with knowing how to utilize them in the classroom. In today’s episode, I’m sharing how to best utilize mentor texts, specifically during your biography units.
Since biographies, and even autobiographies, aren’t the most exciting for students, engagement and interest is key to getting them hooked. Once they are engaged, mentor texts are used to make connections, show examples of reading skills, and so much more. In the episode, I provide guidance, activities, resources, and tips to help you implement mentor texts that’s purposeful and meaningful.
With the next few months being prime opportunities to teach biographies, incorporating the use of mentor texts increases a students’ engagement with the genre. Implementing the strategies and tips on how to best utilize mentor texts during biography units, will get kids excited to learn about other important people in our society.
In this episode on mentor texts, I share:
- How to immediately hook your students by using biographies
- A fun activity that gets students sharing with the class orally or through written language
- An important reminder to put quality over quantity
- Why both reading and writing skills are shown through mentor texts
- Join the Writing Made Simple Membership
- Grab my free Step-by-Step Writing routine!
- Biography Graphic Organizer Freebie
- Black History Biography & Activity Bundle
- Episode 121, Best Practices for Teaching Biographies
- Episode 119, 5 Black History Month Activities for Elementary Students
Connect with Megan:
About The Literacy Dive Podcast:
Do you find yourself seeking new ideas when it comes to literacy instruction in elementary classrooms? The Literacy Dive Podcast was created to offer actionable steps and to share information for teachers, like you, who are always looking to improve their craft! ELA is our jam and we are excited to dive into all things reading and writing with you!
Your host, Megan Polk, is the creator and owner behind The Literacy Dive and loves to support students and their teachers with curriculum, literacy instruction, best practices, and engaging literacy activities.
Dive in with us every Monday for a new episode from Megan! She, and her guests, will chat about various literacy topics and will bring you tips and tricks that can easily be implemented in your classrooms. You can tune in wherever you get your podcasts! Listen to The Literacy Dive Podcast