There are many benefits to having students write daily in the classroom. When I say “writing daily”, I mean an intentional moment for writing. While I find opportunities to insert writing during every guided reading group, not all students are present during that small group time. Today, I will be diving into why I started implementing daily writing prompts into my classroom and the many positives of using them! I chat about how to help students understand what writing prompts are asking, what to do with writing prompts, when to incorporate them, and other helpful tips to get them up and running in your daily schedules.
In this episode I share:
- How writing prompts provide topic ideas or starting points for original writing to follow
- The purpose of a writing prompt
- 4 questions to ask about the prompt before releasing students to write
- The process of implementing writing prompts for maximum impact and effectiveness
- Why writing prompts are great to show the writing process, foundations, and fundamentals of writing
- 7 ways to incorporate writing prompts into your schedule
- The Ultimate Benefits: Writing prompts take the guesswork out of daily planning and ensure there are fresh ideas available each day for students; the prompts allow for student choice in a stress-free. non-threatening environment; they spark interest specifically when connected to National Days; daily writing prompts allow for a variety of genres to be spiraled consistently
Resources from this episode:
- 40 Writing and Conversation Starters FREEBIE
- February Writing Prompts & Journal
- Year-Long Monthly Writing Prompts & Journal
Connect with Megan:
- Check out my TpT Store
- Join The Literacy Dive Facebook Group
- Subscribe to my E-mail List
- Instagram posts
- Blog posts
- Facebook posts
- Watch my YouTube channel
About The Literacy Dive Podcast:
Do you find yourself seeking new ideas when it comes to literacy instruction in elementary classrooms? The Literacy Dive Podcast was created to offer actionable steps and to share information for teachers, like you, who are always looking to improve their craft! ELA is our jam and we are excited to dive into all things reading and writing with you!
Your host, Megan Polk, is the creator and owner behind Miss P’s Style. She is a literacy specialist and loves to support students and their teachers with curriculum, literacy instruction, best practices, and engaging literacy activities. Through this podcast, she will share literacy tips and strategies that she has learned from the many years of experience she holds from being an elementary teacher and literacy specialist. Megan has taught all elementary grades (K-5), but an intense passion and love for upper elementary came about!
Dive in with us every Monday for a new episode from Megan! She, and her guests, will chat about various literacy topics and will bring you tips and tricks that can easily be implemented in your classrooms… immediately!
You can tune in wherever you get your podcasts! Listen to The Literacy Dive Podcast on platforms like Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google, and more! If you find value from listening to this podcast, please rate this show, leave a review, and subscribe!