Black History is celebrated this month, but I have been one to celebrate Black and diverse history all year long. This episode will support teachers who are wanting to implement African American history into their classrooms whether it’s their first year or tenth year. You will gain helpful reminders when navigating your conversations about Black influential individuals with students, as well as activities that can be easily implemented throughout this month and beyond.
In this episode I share:
- A reminder that Black History Month is celebrated in February but is encouraged to be taught year-round
- Why it is the duty of teachers to help fill in the gaps that are left out of textbooks and omitted from curriculum standards
- 3 helpful reminders when discussing Black history with students
- 5 ways to implement Black history in the classroom – activities you can get up and running today!
Resources from this episode:
- Printable & Digital Black History Biographies and Research Activities
- Digital-Only Black History Biographies and Research Activities
- Diverse Read Alouds + Books for Black History
- Creating an Amazon Wishlist
Connect with Megan:
- Check out my TpT Store
- Join The Literacy Dive Facebook Group
- Subscribe to my E-mail List
- Instagram posts
- Blog posts
- Facebook posts
- Watch my YouTube channel
About The Literacy Dive Podcast:
Do you find yourself seeking new ideas when it comes to literacy instruction in elementary classrooms? The Literacy Dive Podcast was created to offer actionable steps and to share information for teachers, like you, who are always looking to improve their craft! ELA is our jam and we are excited to dive into all things reading and writing with you!
Your host, Megan Polk, is the creator and owner behind Miss P’s Style. She is a literacy specialist and loves to support students and their teachers with curriculum, literacy instruction, best practices, and engaging literacy activities. Through this podcast, she will share literacy tips and strategies that she has learned from the many years of experience she holds from being an elementary teacher and literacy specialist. Megan has taught all elementary grades (K-5), but an intense passion and love for upper elementary came about!
Dive in with us every Monday for a new episode from Megan! She, and her guests, will chat about various literacy topics and will bring you tips and tricks that can easily be implemented in your classrooms… immediately!
You can tune in wherever you get your podcasts! Listen to The Literacy Dive Podcast on platforms like Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google, and more! If you find value from listening to this podcast, please rate this show, leave a review, and subscribe!