In case you don’t already know, I have a major sticky note addiction. Seriously, I use them for everything! I get asked all the time, “what in the world do you do with all those sticky notes?!”. To be honest, there was a time when I would just toss them in the trash can, but not anymore! Now I have several favorite ways to repurpose sticky notes to help document authentic student work.
Sticky notes are my favorite teacher tool because they can be used in small group and whole group lessons. They can also be used during independent work, and the kids love them! They don’t find them intimidating to write on because of their small size. There is so much you can do beyond just basic writing on a sticky note. Before you think about throwing yours away, try these tips.
In this episode I share:
- The 4 ways I love using sticky notes the most
- Why anchor charts with student examples should be utilized more
- How to use sticky notes for informal observation and assessment
- My favorite teacher hack for printing sticky note templates when you’re short on time
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Episode 20: “Think Marks” Reading Responses
- Sticky Note Data Trackers
- How to Print on Sticky Notes blog post
- Reading Response Graphic Organizer Sticky Note Templates
- Writing Process Sticky Note Templates
- Reading Response Bookmarks
- Reading Graphic Organizer
Connect with Megan:
- Check out my TpT Store
- Join The Literacy Dive Facebook Group
- Subscribe to my E-mail List
- Instagram posts
- Blog posts
- Facebook posts
- Watch my YouTube channel
About The Literacy Dive Podcast:
Do you find yourself seeking new ideas when it comes to literacy instruction in elementary classrooms? The Literacy Dive Podcast was created to offer actionable steps and to share information for teachers, like you, who are always looking to improve their craft! ELA is our jam and we are excited to dive into all things reading and writing with you!
Your host, Megan Polk, is the creator and owner behind Miss P’s Style. She is a literacy specialist and loves to support students and their teachers with curriculum, literacy instruction, best practices, and engaging literacy activities. Through this podcast, she will share literacy tips and strategies that she has learned from the many years of experience she holds from being an elementary teacher and literacy specialist. Megan has taught all elementary grades (K-5), but an intense passion and love for upper elementary came about!
Dive in with us every Monday for a new episode from Megan! She, and her guests, will chat about various literacy topics and will bring you tips and tricks that can easily be implemented in your classrooms… immediately!
You can tune in wherever you get your podcasts! Listen to The Literacy Dive Podcast on platforms like Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google, and more! If you find value from listening to this podcast, please rate this show, leave a review, and subscribe!