Welcome back to The Literacy Dive! Writing is hard. Are your students feeling defeated from time-to-time in actually seeing their writing growth? Do you need new ideas for celebrating student growth and keeping student momentum going when it comes to writing? In this episode, I will share systems to use student writing samples as a way to empower them and continue their writing growth. No matter how far into the school year you are, it is not too late to begin these practices!
In this episode I share:
- Keep 3-4 student samples (beginning of the year, Nov/Dec., March, end of the year)
- Option 1: Consider adding student samples to their writing folder in sheet protectors; this writing stays with them all year long as a reminder of growth
- Option 2: Involve parents by sending copies of the samples home with report cards; this celebrates writing progression and parents gain insight from the visual growth
- Option 3: Keep writing samples on file separated by each student; keep this easily accessible to pull during writing conferences or when you want to celebrate student growth
- Option 4: Class display board; celebrate frequent writing samples and students begin understanding the importance of writing for an audience
- Every student is a writer and every student will show growth
Connect with Megan:
- Check out my TpT Store
- Join The Literacy Dive Facebook Group
- Subscribe to my E-mail List
- Instagram posts
- Blog posts
- Facebook posts
- Watch my YouTube channel
About The Literacy Dive Podcast:
Do you find yourself seeking new ideas when it comes to literacy instruction in elementary classrooms? The Literacy Dive Podcast was created to offer actionable steps and to share information for teachers, like you, who are always looking to improve their craft! ELA is our jam and we are excited to dive into all things reading and writing with you!
Your host, Megan Polk, is the creator and owner behind Miss P’s Style. She is a literacy specialist and loves to support students and their teachers with curriculum, literacy instruction, best practices, and engaging literacy activities. Through this podcast, she will share literacy tips and strategies that she has learned from the many years of experience she holds from being an elementary teacher and literacy specialist. Megan has taught all elementary grades (K-5), but an intense passion and love for upper elementary came about!
Dive in with us every Monday for a new episode from Megan! She, and her guests, will chat about various literacy topics and will bring you tips and tricks that can easily be implemented in your classrooms… immediately!
You can tune in wherever you get your podcasts! Listen to The Literacy Dive Podcast on platforms like Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google, and more! If you find value from listening to this podcast, please rate this show, leave a review, and subscribe!