Today, we are taking a deep dive into running records. Why do we use them? How do we use them? What do all those acronyms and codes really mean?! If you are currently wondering one or more of these questions, I will walk you through the ins and outs of a running record. You can also grab my free running record templates and cheat sheet referenced in this episode here.
In this episode I share:
- Running Records are forms to document student reading behaviors, errors, accuracy, self-corrections, fluency, and comprehension
- Use the forms to determine if a text is independent, instructional, or frustrational
- Formal Running Records – administer three times per year (beginning, middle, end)
- Informal Running Records – administer weekly or bi-weekly during guided reading
- Learn about all the boxes, codes, and definitions
- Use Running Record data to drive intentional teaching points and reading instruction
Resources from this episode:
- Running Records freebie: CLICK HERE
Connect with Megan:
- Check out my TpT Store
- Join The Literacy Dive Facebook Group
- Subscribe to my E-mail List
- Instagram posts
- Blog posts
- Facebook posts
- Watch my YouTube channel
About The Literacy Dive Podcast:
Do you find yourself seeking new ideas when it comes to literacy instruction in elementary classrooms? The Literacy Dive Podcast was created to offer actionable steps and to share information for teachers, like you, who are always looking to improve their craft! ELA is our jam and we are excited to dive into all things reading and writing with you!
Your host, Megan Polk, is the creator and owner behind Miss P’s Style. She is a literacy specialist and loves to support students and their teachers with curriculum, literacy instruction, best practices, and engaging literacy activities. Through this podcast, she will share literacy tips and strategies that she has learned from the many years of experience she holds from being an elementary teacher and literacy specialist. Megan has taught all elementary grades (K-5), but an intense passion and love for upper elementary came about!
Dive in with us every Monday for a new episode from Megan! She, and her guests, will chat about various literacy topics and will bring you tips and tricks that can easily be implemented in your classrooms… immediately!
You can tune in wherever you get your podcasts! Listen to The Literacy Dive Podcast on platforms like Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google, and more! If you find value from listening to this podcast, please rate this show, leave a review, and subscribe!