Are your students reluctant to write? Is student interest in writing at 0%? We are going to turn that around! In today’s episode, I am going to share how to use Quick Writes with students and the many benefits that come along with implementing them. Listen and learn about this easy-to-implement Quick Write strategy!
In this episode I share:
- Quick Writes are great for building fluency and voice, writing spontaneously, allowing students to write freely in a stress-free environment, and reinforcing specific writing skills without students even knowing it!
- Quick Writes should only take 1, 3, or 5 minutes to complete
- Students have control of what genre they choose to write
- It is important to write along with your students
- Quick Writes will motivate students to write and will keep them intrigued
- Get students in a writing posture
- Call out one or two words
- Set the timer for 1, 3, or 5 minutes
- Students will write to the “prompt” until time is up
- Students will share their writing aloud
- Allow students to submit one or two words for the prompts
- Allow students to take the Quick Write through the writing process
- Tie in current writing skills and hold students accountable to applying them to their Quick Write
- Encourage parents to try this at home
Connect with Megan:
- Check out my TpT Store
- Join The Literacy Dive Facebook Group
- Subscribe to my E-mail List
- Instagram posts
- Blog posts
- Facebook posts
- Watch my YouTube channel
About The Literacy Dive Podcast:
Do you find yourself seeking new ideas when it comes to literacy instruction in elementary classrooms? The Literacy Dive Podcast was created to offer actionable steps and to share information for teachers, like you, who are always looking to improve their craft! ELA is our jam and we are excited to dive into all things reading and writing with you!
Your host, Megan Polk, is the creator and owner behind Miss P’s Style. She is a literacy specialist and loves to support students and their teachers with curriculum, literacy instruction, best practices, and engaging literacy activities. Through this podcast, she will share literacy tips and strategies that she has learned from the many years of experience she holds from being an elementary teacher and literacy specialist. Megan has taught all elementary grades (K-5), but an intense passion and love for upper elementary came about!
Dive in with us every Monday for a new episode from Megan! She, and her guests, will chat about various literacy topics and will bring you tips and tricks that can easily be implemented in your classrooms… immediately!
You can tune in wherever you get your podcasts! Listen to The Literacy Dive Podcast on platforms like Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google, and more! If you find value from listening to this podcast, please rate this show, leave a review, and subscribe!