Listen to the full episode to hear how to reset your writing block:
In today’s episode I’m going to address the elephant in the room, which is the fact that teaching literacy is hard. There, I said it! In my personal experience, I found that compared to all other subjects, reading and writing were without a doubt the most difficult for my students. If you’re anything like me and refuse to let your students fail because something is difficult, this episode is for you! It’s never too late to reset your writing block.
Last week I recommended that you start the new year off by asking your students questions to get an idea of what was and wasn’t working in your classroom. Now, I have questions for you! In order to make sure your lessons are effective for those struggling readers, I have questions and tips for you to consider. I talk about topics such as when to remove graphic organizers and how to create an environment that elicits creative writing no matter the grade. Most importantly, I hope you take these tips to your classroom and make writing fun!
In this episode on how to reset your writing block, I share:
- 5 questions you should ask yourself about your literacy lessons
- Reasons you don’t want to skip your writing block
- Why you shouldn’t rush to take away writing supports and scaffolding
- What to focus on when helping your students set their goals
- Tips for making the writing process fun for your students
- Primary and Upper Elementary Writing Office
- Writing Reference Sheets
- Descriptive Writing Anchor Charts
- Writing Prompts
- Writing Process Sticky Note Checklists
- Literacy Choice Boards freebie
- Episode 64, Reset Your Routine: 5 Questions to Ask Your Students
- Episode 32, Setting Up Effective Writing Centers
- Episode 23, Using Centers for Upper Elementary Kids
- Episode 9, Using Quick Writes to Strengthen Student Writing
- Episode 2, 5 Components of a Mini Lesson
Connect with Megan:
- Check out my TpT Store
- Subscribe to my E-mail list
- Instagram Posts
- Blog Posts
- Facebook Posts
- Watch my YouTube channel
About The Literacy Dive Podcast:
Do you find yourself seeking new ideas when it comes to literacy instruction in elementary classrooms? The Literacy Dive Podcast was created to offer actionable steps and to share information for teachers, like you, who are always looking to improve their craft! ELA is our jam and we are excited to dive into all things reading and writing with you!
Your host, Megan Polk, is the creator and owner behind The Literacy Dive and loves to support students and their teachers with curriculum, literacy instruction, best practices, and engaging literacy activities.
Dive in with us every Monday for a new episode from Megan! She, and her guests, will chat about various literacy topics and will bring you tips and tricks that can easily be implemented in your classrooms. You can tune in wherever you get your podcasts! Listen to The Literacy Dive Podcast on platforms like Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google, and more! If you find value from listening to this podcast, please rate this show, leave a review, and follow!
You can tune in wherever you get your podcasts! Listen to The Literacy Dive Podcast on platforms like Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google, and more! If you find value from listening to this podcast, please rate this show, leave a review, and follow!